Thursday, August 21, 2014

Practice Blog Post

Name

Places lived, interests, major, why USA?

Why Education?
a. USMC instructing/recruiting
b. business classes

Educator's Work
a. instructing and evaluating
b. preparing for college
c. teaching life skills

Picture

Other
a. Football
b. VA office work

My name is Kyle Parrish. I was born and raised in Mobile. I've lived in Houston, San Diego, and Washington State over the past decade. My main interests in life right now revolve around my wife and children. I coach my 5 year old's sports teams and try to give my daughter all of my other time. We watch a lot of Disney and I know all the words to every Frozen song. I'm a secondary education major with a concentration in Social Sciences. I chose education after spending 9 years in the Marine Corps. I was an instructor for 3 years and did a stint as a Recruiter. During recruiting duty I spent a lot of time in the high schools and found a passion for teaching and mentoring young adults. My wife and I decided I should get out of the service and pursue teaching.

I believe a 21st century educator is not much different from other generations of educators. We must instruct and evaluate, as always. It is our charge, specifically in secondary, to prepare our students for college. I think it is also necessary to teach life skills to the students as well. It is important to try and understand the evolving generation of students we will come across and adjust our teaching styles accordingly. We can't teach students from 2034 the way we taught our students in 2014.


Photo Source: Kyle W. Parrish
This is the little girl that runs my life.










I am an avid college football fan and work for the VA Office here on campus. I have a strong devotion to my fellow brother and sister veterans. It is a very rewarding job.

No comments:

Post a Comment