Sunday, September 7, 2014

Blog Assignment #3

Political cartoon of scientist walking a gauntlet of other scientists with weapons

Peer reviewing or editing papers or works is always a stressful task. I worry about tact and hurting someone's feelings, I worry about not doing a good enough job, I worry about a lot of things. Being the person who is reviewed is never fun either. I do my best not to take it personally, but I think it must just be human nature to a certain level of offense when one is told they did something wrong. I very much appreciate the peer review process as a necessary part of the learning/writing process, but I still strongly dislike the whole thing.

After viewing the three videos What Is Peer Editing?, Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial, and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes I have more understanding of the proper way to do things, now. I appreciated the 3 step process of Compliments, Suggestions, and Corrections. It is a much more structured way to approach a review than I have ever before implemented. I look forward to trying it out on the next review I have. The Top 10 Mistakes video was enlightening as well. I had not thought of some of the issues the kids brought to light. I know that I tend to be over-critical in my reviews and don't give enough compliments. I think that is one of the main things I should work on utilizing the techniques I learned watching the 3 videos.

1 comment:

  1. I also think peer reviewing is really stressful for everyone involved. I have no problem correcting small grammar mistakes, but when people ask me about the actual content of their work I totally freeze up. I feel like I'd be overstepping so many boundaries by correcting too much. I do like the three step process as well. I love that the first step was compliments because it's really important to make sure you're being positive instead of completely ripping their paper apart!

    ReplyDelete